Renter’s Insurance 101
When you are looking to apply for renter’s insurance, it’s a good idea to assess your insurance needs. You may think that the value of the items you own are less than they are actually worth, which means you might get less insurance than you need. Here are some tips to get the right amount of renter’s insurance for your needs.
- List or photograph everything that you own, and include important details like estimate prices, and brand or model information. For your more expensive items or collections you should make sure to write down any serial numbers that could come in handy if you need to verify your claim for the losses you suffer.
- If you have the time and the patience, you can take it a step further and enter all of your items into a spreadsheet along with the important details.
- If you share property with a roommate, consider taking out a joint renter’s insurance policy to protect all of your shared and individual items.
- Keep copies of this list in a safe space, maybe outside of your rented place. This way you are less likely to misplace it. Your insurance agency may not want this list right away, but when you make a claim, it will be invaluable for getting as much help as possible.
- Shop around and look at different policies. If shopping online, look at the company’s reviews and see what sort of discounts you may be eligible for. Browsing different policies is a great way to save money on your renter’s insurance.
Contact the Gregory Insurance Group in Addison and Dallas for all of your renter’s insurance needs in Texas. Keep your apartment protected by speaking to one of our insurance professionals and getting a great policy to meet your needs!